This Friday, 3/29/19, there is no school for students. Teachers will be attending professional development day through the Diocese.
I will be sending home a shoe tying practice template this week. Please help your child successfully tie the template and their own shoes! We will be having a shoe tying party on Friday, May 10th! All the students that can tie their shoes by this date will earn a special treat at our shoe tying party!
Thank you to the parent volunteers that sit with our class at Mass on Wednesday mornings. I appreciate the help. Please remember that you are there to help the children maintain appropriate Mass behavior and that all the children need to be treated equally. We need to assure this for fairness to all the students that don’t have parents present. It is not always possible for you to sit near your child as it is necessary for me to spread the parent volunteers out as necessary. The children are not instructed to hold hands during the Our Father prayer. When I get up to help with the gifts and to receive Holy Communion, please help keep the students quiet and facing the altar.
Please continue to send back the “Book Bags” every Friday. I can send new books home every Monday if they are returned. Please continue to have your child read to you. These books should be practiced many times throughout the week, before they are returned on Friday. This will count as time for their reading log each night. There will also be a key ring with sight word flash cards attached in the “Book Bags.” These should be practiced nightly as well. I will add words to the rings as necessary.
Please have the students read a sheet of the sight word sentence homework nightly. They may color in 1 star after reading the page in entirety. Please have your child write at least 1-2 sentences on the lined writing paper each night using their sight word sentences and inventive spelling. They may rewrite one of the sentences provided or create their own new sentence.
We continue practicing reading sentences with the use of pictures and our high frequency words. This past week the sight words we were practicing were here and me . They brought two small books home with these sight words in them. It would be helpful to keep the small books each week and have them practice as review of all the words we have learned. It is great practice for them.
Please continue to read at least 15 minutes every night with your child and fill out the reading log. Please keep the reading log in their home folder on the “return to school” side. I will be checking for completion each morning, and stamping the log to track whether or not the assignment was done each night. This way, I can assign an accurate grade for the reading log. I will collect the reading logs each week on Friday. A new log will be sent home every Monday.
Monday: Abigail, Andrew, Christian, Elise
Tuesday: Matthew, John C., Kyle, Liam
Wednesday: Moises, Agnes, Anthony, Cassy
Thursday: Dayvin, Emmett, Frank, Jayln, John M.
Friday: Lia, Lorenzo, Mia and Zach
*Reminder that the Super Star Student of the week can bring something to share each day of the week.
**I will have a bin outside the classroom for the share items in the morning. Please only have your child bring an item to share on their scheduled day (except when student is Super Star Student). If they forget, they are not to bring something the next day, but instead they will wait until their next scheduled share day. Thank you for your help with this. The children may share books, gifts, and stories. Weapons and other such items may not be brought to school. Likewise, fragile items should not be sent to school.
Super Star Student- I will go in alphabetical order by first name. The student that is Super Star Student for the week will bring in a small photo album with 10-15 pages. You may wish to include pictures and a description of your child’s likes/dislikes, favorite vacations, special events, thing he/she enjoys doing, etc. We will read from this book every day that your child is Super Star. Being Super Star also means being line leader, prayer leader, and calendar leader. The Super Star may share every day during his/her week, not just on his or her assigned share day.
Super Star Students for March:
March 25th-29th: Matthew
What we will be covering this week:
- Religion: Lent and Stations of the Cross
- Math: Adding and Subtracting Numbers (Garfield Math), Compare Using More than, fewer than and same as or equal to
- Reading: Ana Goes to Washington D.C., See Our Country, Pack a Bag, Places to See, See This!, The Best of the West
- Language Arts: Essential Question- What do you know about our country?
- Grammar: Blend Words with short vowels i, e, a, and u with y, z, ck, k, , p, s, t and b, Prepositions and Ordinal Numbers
- Phonics: Letter: Yy and Zz, High Frequency Words: this, what, here, me, said, want, they, of, for ,she, was, little, with, he ,are, my, to, do, you, is, go, and, like, you, a, we, the, I, can, see, at, am
- Social Studies: National Symbols and American Monuments
- Science: Types of Weather and The Engineering Fair
Dates and Reminder:
- Friday, 3/29: No School
- Wednesday, 3/27: All School Reconciliation (Grades 2-8)
- Friday, 4/5: Half Day: Dismissal at 12 PM
- Friday, 4/5: Stations of the Cross, 11:15 AM
- Wednesday, 4/10: Half Day: Dismissal at 12 PM
- Thursday, 4/11: Engineering Fair
- Friday, 4/12: Stations of the Cross, 2:00 PM
- Friday, 4/19: Washing of the Feet at 9:30 AM
- Friday, 4/19: Half Day: Dismissal at 12 PM- Good Friday
- Monday, 4/22-Friday, 4/26: Easter Break- No School
- Monday, 4/29: School Resumes