We are participating in Kindergarten’s Canned Food Drive for the 100th Day of School! Please send in cans and nonperishable food items by Thursday. We are trying to collect 100 items in our classroom!
Religion: Chapter 17 The Sixth Commandment
In Chapter 16, the students learned that the Fifth Commandment calls us to respect all human life. In this chapter, they will learn about the Sixth Commandment and ways we show and share love with others.
Language Arts: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell Novel Study
- Identify the supporting details in the chapter.
- Make an inferences based on text clues.
- Make text-to-self connections to the characters and events of the chapter.
- Explore how the author uses language to appeal to emotion.
Vocabulary Words: jagged, barbed, deserted, teeter, vanquish
Math Groups A and B: Module 3 Multi-Digit Multiplication and Division
This week we will finish Module 3. Students will receive a practice test on Monday to use as a study guide.
Topic H: Multiplication of Two-Digit by Two-Digit Numbers
- Transition from four partial products to the standard algorithm for two-digit by two-digit multiplication.
Math Group C: Module 5 Fraction Equivalence, Ordering, and Operations
- Decompose fractions as a sum of unit fractions using tape diagrams.
- Decompose non-unit fractions and represent them as a whole number times a unit fraction using tape diagrams.
- Decompose fractions into sums of smaller unit fractions using tape diagrams.
We will continue with multiplication timed tests. Please practice your math facts at home every night. Click here for a great practice sheet! To see the testing order, please refer to the recording chart in your child’s planner.
Today your child is bringing home their California Missions Project packet. The 4th Grade Mission Project has three parts:
- Research paper (completed in class)
- Research notes (see 4th Grade California Missions Research), due 2/15
- Rough draft, due 3/1
- Final typed report, due 3/8
- Project (completed at home)
- Approval form signed by parent, due 2/15
- Project, due 3/15
- Presentation (practiced at home, presented in class)
- Week of 3/18
Please review the packet with your child and let me know if you have any questions. All due dates are included in the packet.
Pilot Module 2 Saint Junípero Serra and the Mission Era
Junipero Serra and the Mission Era: Victories and Struggles at the Missions
- Describe life in the Missions
- Explain how church was part of daily life in a mission
- Explain how Native Indians helped to build the mission churches and incorporated native designs in their artwork
- Explain how the Spanish expansion of farming crops and livestock destroyed tribal lands and valuable natural resources, and as a result, many Native Peoples living in and around the missions eventually became dependent on the missions for their food
Science: Renewable and Nonrenewable Resources
- Obtain and combine information to describe that energy and fuels are derived from natural resources and their uses affect the environment.
We are participating in the City of Escondido’s 27th Annual Earth Day Poster Contest. Posters are due on March 1st. Please click here for more details.
2/5 Tuesday: P.E.
2/6 Wednesday: 8am Mass (formal uniform required), Math Module 3 Test Groups A and B
2/8 Friday: Religion Chapter 17 Test, Spelling Week 4 Test, Island of the Blue Dolphins Week 4 Quiz, P.E.
Save the Date: Saturday, February 23rd, 5:30pm School Mass led by 4th Grade (attendance mandatory for all 4th graders)
If you would like to donate to our classroom, please visit our 4th Grade Wish List.