We have been learning extensively and experiencing so much growth in first grade! This past week we wrapped up our Math module on Measurement, and finished up our Science unit on Sound with an exciting project. Your first graders engineered a unique musical instrument based on their knowledge of vibration, and worked in groups to form a band each of which collaborated to compose a one of a kind song! I was so impressed with their creativity through the design process, and dazzled by their performances on Friday. Well done first graders!
The 100th Day of School is fast approaching! Our school has set a goal to collect 100 canned food items per grade to donate this year. I will have a bucket set aside in our classroom to begin collecting cans. Let’s work together to reach our goal of 100 cans by the 100th Day of School (2/7) !
This week we will cover . . .
Religion: We Celebrate the Sacraments
Math: Place value, comparison, and addition and subtraction to 40.
- Target Skill: Sequence of Events
- Phonics: Vowel pairs /oa/, /ow/ | Contractions ‘ve, ‘re | Phonograms -ow, -oat
- Spelling words with /oa/, /ow/: boat, coat, road, toad, show, row, grow, low, blow, snow
- Grammar: Future Tense
- Writing: Personal Narrative Writing
Social Studies: Family Life, Past and Present
Science: Behavior of Light
– Students will . . .
- make observations to construct an evidence-based account that objects can be seen only when illuminated.
- plan and conduct investigations to determine the effect of placing objects made with different materials in the path of a beam of light.
Dates and Reminders:
- Sunday 1/27 – Saturday 2/2: Catholic Schools Week
- Thursday, 1/31: Team Day | Students may wear blue jeans and a St. Mary spirit shirt.
- Friday, 2/1: Half Day | 12PM Dismissal
- Thursday 2/7: 100th Day of School!
- Wednesday, 2/13: Half Day | 12PM Dismissal
- Thursday, 2/14: Valentine’s Day