I hope everyone had a restful Christmas break and enjoyed the time with their families over the New Year! We had a great first week back from Christmas break. It was great to be back and get back into our classroom routines.
We are getting close to our 100th day of school! I will be sending some information home next week about our celebration for Day 100! Day 100 is on Thursday, February 7th. I will need volunteers for this day as well.
Thank you to the parent volunteers that sit with our class at Mass on Wednesday mornings. I appreciate the help. Please remember that you are there to help the children maintain appropriate Mass behavior and that all the children need to be treated equally. We need to assure this for fairness to all the students that don’t have parents present. It is not always possible for you to sit near your child as it is necessary for me to spread the parent volunteers out as necessary. The children are not instructed to hold hands during the Our Father prayer. When I get up to help with the gifts and to receive Holy Communion, please help keep the students quiet and facing the altar.
We continue practicing reading sentences with the use of pictures and our high frequency words. This week, the students brought home two books with the sight word you in them. Please encourage the children to read these books to you throughout the weekend and week. It would be helpful to keep these books each week and have them practice as review of all the words we have learned. It is great practice for them.
*Reminder that the Super Star Student of the week can bring something to share each day of the week.
This week we will be taking a short break from share to reiterate the importance of respect while others are speaking/sharing. The Super Star Student will still be sharing each day this week. We will resume our normal share schedule the following week, 1/21.
Super Star Student- I will go in alphabetical order by first name. The student that is Super Star Student for the week will bring in a small photo album with 10-15 pages. You may wish to include pictures and a description of your child’s likes/dislikes, favorite vacations, special events, thing he/she enjoys doing, etc. We will read from this book every day that your child is Super Star. Being Super Star also means being line leader, prayer leader, and calendar leader. The Super Star may share every day during his/her week, not just on his or her assigned share day.
Super Star Students for January/February:
January 14th-18th: Jayln
January 21st-25th: John China
January 28th-February 1st: John Meziere
February 4th-8th: Kyle
Please continue to read at least 15 minutes every night with your child and fill out the reading log. Please keep the reading log in their home folder on the “return to school” side. I will be checking for completion each morning, and stamping the log to track whether or not the assignment was done each night. This way, I can assign an accurate grade for the reading log. I will collect the reading logs each week on Friday. A new log will be sent home every Monday.
What we will be covering this week:
- Religion: God the Father Gives Us Jesus
- Math: Communicate positions of flat shapes and solid shapes using positional words (above, below, beside, in front of, next to and behind), classify solid shapes into categories
- Reading: My Garden, Hop Can Hop, My Garden Grows, The Mystery Seeds
- Language Arts: Essential Question- What do living things need to grow?
- Grammar: Adjectives and Pronouns
- Phonics: Letter: Hh, High Frequency Words: my, to, do, you, is, go, and, like, you, a, we, the, I, can, see, at, am
- Social Studies: Transportation
- Science: Continue Plant Needs
Dates and Reminder:
- Monday, 1/21: No School: Martin Luther King Jr.
- Sunday, 1/27: School Led Mass 10:30 AM
- Sunday, 1/27-Saturday, 2/2: Catholic Schools Week
- Friday, 2/1: Half Day: Dismissal at 12:00 PM
- Thursday, 2/7: 100th Day Celebration!