Please join us on Sunday at 9:00AM for our school-led mass by the 4th and 5th graders. After mass there will be speakers in the new hall as well as our robotics team and their robot! All the classrooms will be open to families. You may visit your child’s classroom, and this would be a great time to visit their classroom for next year. If your child joins us at mass on Sunday in school uniform, they will have free dress on Monday, 1/30.
Reminder of a few of the changes we have made:
- The students have been asked to write their first and last name, as well as their number on all assignments.
- We started practicing cursive. We began with the letters a, e, i and o. We will continue with the vowels.
- The reading log looks a little different and I am asking the students to read 20 minutes each night (instead of 15). The log should be filled out daily. The log asks for a short summary about what they read that night, as well as the date, title and minutes read. Reminder: Parent Signature is needed on Thursday night.
- The spelling homework for the week is Spelling choice tic-tac-toe. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday they are able to choose 3 activities in a row. (horizontal, diagonal or vertical) Choose one activity per night for spelling homework. These assignments will be completed in their spelling spiral bound notebook. Each page of spelling homework should include first and last name, their number and the date. Thursday night will still be the spelling pre-test with parent initials. Reminder: Must do 3 activities in a row and they need to cross out the activities completed. This should make Tic-Tac-Toe. Please check which activity they have completed for the night, and that it is done correctly.
- Each day the students are taking a one minute timed math fact test. This is not going to be added as a grade; it is practice to help memorize their facts. We started with zero and will go up to ten, and then will move onto subtraction. They will be given the same level until they have passed all 20 problems within the 1 minute time. Please practice math facts with flash cards every night with your child.
Our Annual Gala is coming up on February 11th. Please join us in this fun event. If you haven’t purchased your ticket yet, be sure to get it soon! Our class tablescape theme is Gift Cards! Please donate a gift card for our class tablescape that will be auctioned off at the Gala. This can be any type of gift card, including but not limited to; grocery stores, movie tickets, event tickets or amusement parks! Please send in any gift cards to Mrs. Goodwin’s attention. This event is our biggest fundraiser and a lot of fun!
What we will be covering this week:
- Religion: Jesus Gives Us The Eucharist
- Math: Ch. 4- Addition With and Without Regrouping and Mental Math
- Reading: Schools Around The World and Dinosaurs Before Dark
- Language Arts: Using a Dictionary and Quotation Marks
- Spelling/Phonics: Vowel Digraphs ee and ea
- Social Studies: Resources and The Environment
- Science: Earth’s Resources: How Do People Use Rocks and Soil
- Math Check Your Progress Lessons 11-13, Thursday 2/2
- Language Arts Test, Friday 2/3
- Spelling Test, Friday 2/3
- Math Test, Friday 2/3
Dates and Reminders:
- Sunday 1/29: School led mass 9AM
- Week of 1/29: Catholic Schools Week starts with Open House on Sunday 1/29
- Friday 2/3: Half Day- 12PM Dismissal
- Saturday 2/11: Annual Fundraising Gala-California Center for the Arts
- Friday 2/17: Father/Daughter Dance
- Monday 2/20: No School- Presidents’ Day