Reminder of a few of the changes we have made since Christmas Break:
- We started practicing cursive. We began with the letters a, e I and o. We will continue with the vowels.
- The reading log looks a little different and I am asking the students to read 20 minutes each night (instead of 15). The log should be filled out daily. The log asks for a short summary about what they read that night, as well as the date, title and minutes read. Reminder: Parent Signature is needed on Thursday night.
- The spelling homework for the week is Spelling choice tic-tac-toe. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday they are able to choose 3 activities in a row. (horizontal, diagonal or vertical) Choose one activity per night for spelling homework. These assignments will be completed in their spelling spiral bound notebook. Thursday night will still be the spelling pre-test with parent initials. Reminder: Must do 3 activities in a row and they need to cross out the activities completed. This should make Tic-Tac-Toe.
- This week we started math fact timed testing. Each day the students are taking a one minute timed math fact test. This is not going to be added as a grade, it is practice to help memorize their facts. We started with zero and will go up to ten, and then will move onto subtraction. They will be given the same level until they have passed all 20 problems within the 1 minute time. Please practice math facts with flash cards every night with your child.
Our class bake sale is coming up next Wednesday, January 18th. Please sign up to help work the day of the bake sale as well as donations of baked goods and raffle items. The sign-up genius was emailed earlier this week. Please help make our bake sale a success!
Our Annual Gala is coming up on February 11th. Please join us in this fun event. If you haven’t purchased your ticket yet, be sure to get it soon!
There is no school on Monday, 1/16. We will see you on Tuesday!
What we will be covering this week:
- Religion: Finish Ch. 10-We Follow God’s Laws
- Math: Ch. 4-Addition: Two-Digit Addition with Re-grouping Ones as Tens
- Reading: Click, Clack, Moo-Cows That Type
- Language Arts: Prefixes pre- and mis- and Compound Sentences
- Spelling/Phonics: Base Words and endings -s and -es
- Social Studies: Regions and Resources
- Science: People Grow and Change-Review Human Body-Heart, Lungs, Bones, Muscles and Digestion
- Religion Test, Thursday 1/19
- Language Arts Test, Friday 1/20
- Spelling Test, Friday 1/20
- Math Check Your Progress Lessons 1-6, Friday 1/20
Dates and Reminders:
- Monday 1/16: No School-Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Wednesday 1/18: Bake Sale
- Thursday 1/19: Team Day-Student may wear blue jeans and team shirt
- Friday 1/20: Half Day, Dismissal at 12PM
- Sunday 1/29: School led mass 9AM
- Week of 1/29: Catholic Schools Week starts with Open House on Sunday 1/29